IT environments are constantly getting more complex. Missing or inaccurate network documentation puts your projects at risk. Incorrect information might even lead to wrong decisions, threatening the ROI of your IT expenditures. Do not rely on outdated Excel sheets or printouts.
JDisc Discovery provides a detailed and current network documentation which enables your IT to run more efficiently. Its agent-less discovery technology minimizes the impact on your network and your devices. While a permanent license provides the most value for your IT, JDisc also offers short-term licenses at a very competitive price. Use the project license if you need accurate and detailed inventory information for only the duration of a project.
What is so special about JDisc Discovery?
Broad in Scope
- Identifies and collects detailed software and hardware information from all major operating systems (Windows NT 4.0 and above, IBM AIX, Solaris, HP-UX, Linux, Mac OS X).
- Identifies and collects basic information from hundreds of SNMP devices.
- Detects monitors and USB devices attached to Windows computers.
- Supports the Microsoft Active Directory environment.
Accurate and Non-Intrusive
- We normalize information. Application names as well as hardware information is displayed in a normalized format.
- Multicore processors appear as single physical processors having multiple cores instead of multiple processors having a single core.
- No proprietary agents required on scanned computers.
- No root access needed for most Unix platforms (however, some Unix commands require root access credentials in order to be executed).
- On Unix systems, system commands are executed and the command output is parsed on the computer running JDisc Discovery.
- Can be extended by custom inventory scripts and binaries in order to collect additional information that is not collected out of the box.
- Capability to add custom software inventory scripts in order to identify homegrown applications and software that does not use the platform's standard installation procedure.
- Export of the discovered data into any other IT system.
- Discovered data and access credentials are stored in a secured SQL database (Postgres).
- The setup program creates a read-only database user so other IT systems can access inventory data safely. Security relevant data such as passwords or SSH keys are not readable.
- Access credentials are stored encrypted in JDisc's database using 128-bit AES encryption.
Perfect for heterogeneous IT environments
No matter what device types you have into your network - our goal is to identify any device type correctly! We already identify:
- Unix computers with HP-UX, Solaris or AIX
- Windows computers and servers
- MAC OS X computers
- Linux and VMware computers
- Many SNMP based devices such as routers, switches, network printers etc.
JDisc Discovery identifies 13 different virtualization technologies and assigns the discovered virtual machines to their physical servers. For some virtualization technologies (MS HyperV, VMware and XenServer), we even scan the cluster membership for high availability clusters.
- VMware ESX server
- VMware ESXi server
- VMware server
- Microsoft HyperV
- Citrix XenServer
- Solaris Zones
- Solaris LDOMs
- HP Integrity VMs
- Oracle VM server
- Virtual Iron
Besides the standard applications, JDisc Discovery also discovers complex applications such as the Oracle database servers. Additionally, JDisc Discovery detects the database instances for many database vendors. Furthermore, JDisc Discovery determines the installed applications and components for the most prominent JEE servers.
- Discovers applications installed on Windows, Unix, Linux and MAC OS X computers
- Special scripts identify Oracle database installations
- Determines database instances for many databases (Oracle, IBM DB2, Sybase, Postgres, Microsoft SQL Server)
- Extends the software discovery by your own and individual custom scripts
Custom Attributes and Reports
There are no limits to customer requirements when it comes to reporting. Therefore, we created a custom report generator where users can easily create their own report based on their individual requirements.
Furthermore, creating custom attributes helps when information cannot be discovered automatically (such as room number). It is even possible to populate your custom attributes by running your own collection scripts.
- Create your own custom reports
- Choose the fields for your custom report
- Define simple or even complex conditions for individual fields
- Create your own custom attributes
- Populate your custom attributes by running your own collection scripts
- Import data into your custom attributes from CSV files